Saturday, March 29, 2008

Update on Jr.

Jr. is healing nicely, but is still very weak. He won't be able to drink anything until Sunday and eating solids will be permitted a couple days after that. He was so frustrated about his mouth and throat being dry that he was even resentful that the the kid next to us got to take tylenol. He kept asking me and the nurse if he can have some tylenol, but he couldn't. He was even irritated that this kid's parents were trying to get him to eat a banana and drink milk so he goes, "Aww, I wish I could have some milk and bananas..." and he doesn't even normally like milk or bananas. The saddest part was when I returned the morning after surgery and the first thing he said to me (with his eyes shut so tight and tears running down his cheeks) was that Daddy tortured him twice with soda by drinking in front of him knowing he couldn't have any and his throat was so dry. A couple days later, he had some phlem in his throat he couldn't cough up, and he said it was because that day Daddy was drinking the soda in front of him he felt a dry spot in his throat, but Daddy wouldn't even let him gargle water, so now that dry spot was hurting and that's why he couldn't cough up the phlem. He also said the days seem so long in the hospital and that time inside the hospital must be different from time on the outside. I think he's really starting to miss his brothers - yes, even Aidan - because earlier he asked me to bring the balloons that Annie brought him with me when I leave, so I asked him why, and he said he wanted Aidan and Brody to play with them so they'll remember him. He's such a dear boy. I just feel awful, but at least we've reached the midpoint of this journey. Oh, a funny thing...I told him he would get something special for all the needlework he's had to endure and at first he wanted a video game, but he's been so thirsty lately he told me he changed his mind and all he wants is some Mt. Dew and a bottle of orange juice.

No comments:

Blog Archive